Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Classical Conversations



A friend of mine is the local director to a group called Classical Conversations. {CC}

Classical Conversations "combines classical learning with biblical world views"

It is based off of the method from Susan Wise-Bauer, and her book the The Well Trained Mind.

It has three levels the Foundations K-6, the Essentials 4-6, and the Challenge 7-12.

I went and checked it out and talked to my friend and others who were in the program. It is set up to meet as a group once a week and learn from the teacher, and then you take what you have learned home and expound upon it the rest of the week.

There is a lot of memorization in the Foundations class, and then as you get older you start learning why you have memorized those facts.

I actually like the idea and the way it is brought out. It's like when you are little and you know the song of "Ring Around the Roses" but you really have no idea what the song is about or why it was written. You just like to sing it because it's fun. As you get older you come to learn the story behind it. The whys to it. Why you are putting flowers in your pocket and why you are falling down. CC is the same type of concept.

CC is also Christian based and as a Christian I don't have a problem with that, but they use the New World Translation of the Bible... at least the local group here did, and I use the King James Version in my home, and there is a big difference.

It is also really expensive, and we could not afford it. There are some that supplement by being a teacher, because the teachers are paid, but they require that the teachers sign a "statement of faith" and because my religious views are different, I can't put my name to something that I don't believe.

After looking at this program I think it is a great program for those that want to follow after The Well Trained Mind, and would like the structure that CC brings, however it was not for us.

{all thoughts and opinions are my own and I have not received any compensation for this post}

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say!!