Saturday, February 11, 2012

Question of the Week

Reading??? How have you taught {or how are you teaching} your kids to read? Did you use a program? Did you just read to your child and he/she picked it up? Do you drill sight words or do you work more phonetically.

What worked for us is reading the Book of Mormon every morning. it's true, it does improve reading skills. I also have a book here that does daily lessons.
~Kandie Walter


I teach phonics along with some sight words. I use a bunch of different resources. I do a letter of the week curriculum in Pre-K and Kindergarten. I LOVE the Sound Box books by Jane Belk Moncure. They are loaded with easy to read CVC words along with all the required sight words. I also use a lot of worksheets I have found from all over the internet that teach the rules of our crazy language.I love Starfall. {My child} goes on there everyday.
~Shannon E. 


With my preschool we learn the letters and their sounds. I don't worry about teaching the 2 sounds of C & G but I do teach about the "vowel club" and how they are the cool club cause they have 2 sounds. Once they know their letters and sounds we move in to word families and emergent readers. The kids get such a kick out of sounding out and reading. So there is some sight words though like THE, IN, A, AN, etc... If they are ready for reading it happens quick.
~Angela H.


With {one of my children} I used "teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons". {The other} learned to read on his own.
~Kim F.


Buy the book "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons!" It is amazing!!! {My child} never wanted to put it down and {My other child} just started & is loving it! It really works! ~Shannon R.

I used the online programs Headsprout and Starfall, the book "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons" and I currently use All About Spelling. We have always read to {our child} and still do. He is a dyslexic child who is reading well and comprehending what he reads.
 ~Kelly O. 

This one is hard for me because I am just starting reading. But, so far we are just sounding out words together. My daughter enjoys writing notes to everyone, so we do that every day and she sounds out the words she wants to say. She also really enjoys reading over my shoulder while I'm on the computer and sounding out everything I read or type ;)
~Kris S.

Next Question.... What advice do you give to anyone starting out homeschooling?

1 comment:

Eve | Inchworm Chronicles said...

Hey, so glad you stopped by and left a comment. Great blog you have here!
Just wanted to add, we have done Starfall from the beginning, read a loud a lot, tried a sight word mini book program, and tried 100 Lessons, but Phonics Pathways has sparked the best success yet with my 9 and 7 year old sons. Just a note for anyone with a child who is not clicking with the "usual" resources, like my oldest.

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say!!