Saturday, October 3, 2009

September 28 - October 2

We had a pretty mellow week this week and most of what we did will carry over to next week. The joy of home schooling is that we can take an extra day off now and then. And because the husband has been home we have enjoyed his time. This week we took a day and went to the beach, and the husband and I also took a day and went to the Temple. For those that want to know... the Orlando Temple is really pretty.

The week we started working on Christopher Columbus. We have learned about his birth and trying to get ships to travel to India.
Here is Tommy with his Captain hat on. We also made a "spyglass." We made these on Monday, and the boys have been wearing their captain hats all week.

We also made Lemonade this week. The boys thought that if you squeeze lemons you just get lemonade... kinda like orange juice. So we went through the process. We squeezed the lemons and then I let them try it. The results.... yeah, they didn't like that. I added water.... no good either. So we talked about what we could add to make it better. Flour... salt... cinnamon... crackers... sugar, Yes... sugar! So we added the sugar and then we shook it and whola, we had our lemonade!

Spelling words {going to be carried over to next week}
dog, fat, see, sees, frog, on, log, is, lamp, mat, stand, not, him, catch
Vocabulary Words:
voyages, navigate, pirates, explorer, map, crew, ship
Prophet, Apostles {Conference weekend}

Next week:we will continue with Christopher Columbus, we are also taking a field trip to St. Augustine, and to the light house, we will be taught about ships, treasure, and ocean life.

1 comment:

Alice in Wonderland said...

Hi, I just dropped by from SITS, as I noticed that your name was right above mine!
I'm English, and I actually live in a Castle, so if you need any help on English Castles, maybe I could help you out!
Please don't think that I'm some mad woman, but I know Home-Schooling is a big thing in the U.S. so check out my site.

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say!!