Saturday, October 10, 2009

October 5-9

First off I want to say congratulations and good luck to the husband for starting Grad school. In three years he is going to be a Chiropractor. I'm so proud of you Sweetie!

Ok, this week....we carried a lot of things over from last week, spelling and vocabulary.

James worked on lessons 5 and 6 in math. James is moving really quickly through the book, and right now doing two chapters a week. At first we were working out of random workbooks, and James did okay. Once we switched to Math-U-See James has really taken off. I have been very pleased with this program.
Tommy works on worksheets now and then but he is so much more hands on, and we are working on sequencing. So I wrote the numbers from 0-10 on note cards and then let Tommy put them in order. He really like this.

You can't really see it, but James is practicing his spelling. I let him write on the sliding glass door with eh dry erase markers. Tommy is drawing pictures to the words that I put on for him. {Tim.... lost privileges because he was using the markers on himself.... he'll get to try again next time.}

We continued with Christopher Columbus.... And "In 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue" Even Tim says it now. It's really cute to hear him say it. We made ships and talked about them sailing west.
We also learned that the men on board weren't able to bring a lot of personal things so I got a tote the size of a shoe box and had them get 10 "important" things to see if they would fit.

Tommy decided that his talking race cars were very important. They were all small so he could take them all. {there was a cup and utensils that I also put in there so they could eat on the boat}
James had to narrow his down quite a bit to make it fit. In the end, he brought one car and two stuffed animals.

We learned a little about sinking and floating, and talking race cars sink, raisin boxes... they float.


I also had them draw a picture of what they saw. We also graphed how many things sunk and how many floated. Up next for this.... WHY.... helping them understand why things sink and float.

At the Library I found a puzzle of Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh. We put the puzzle together, and then drew some pictures using crayons, markers, and oil pastels. After I found a slide show on the internet of some of some of Vincent's art. The boys really liked all the colors.

Last up.....

A field trip to St. Augustine. We went during a homeschool day, and got to see some really cool things. This is a picture of a 500 year old rudder to a ship. We saw the equipment that the divers use to bring this stuff up, and James got to climb the light house. {Tommy and Tim were to short... maybe next year}

It was a really good... very productive week!!! {I like that feeling}

Spelling {from last week}

Vocabulary {from last week}

Next week..... I'll update you soon

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a BUSY week! I like that feeling too, though, when you get to the end of it and feel like you've actually accomplished something. Visiting from SITS. Hope you're having a good day!
pk @ Room Remix

Cluttered Brain said...

WOW! What a day! It looks like they learned a lot though. It's good that you homeschool your kids. Wow! Pretty dedicated. I know I couldn't do it.
http://oneclutteredbrain.blogspot.com
VISITING from SITS! Awesome blog!

Michelle said...

WOW. you are crazy good at homeschooling. I'm so boring.

Our kids get lots of markers taken away.

Just wanted to thank you for visiting me on my SITS day. You probably dont even remember it's been so long. LOL. My computer has been down. But I'm back now!

Emily said...

Look at YOU! A natural!! Good Work Girly!

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say!!