Sunday, March 14, 2010

My thoughts on reading....

I read an article on reading site word damage, which for me made so much sense, and let me tell you why.

James is a really bright kid, and is so ready to learn and take in everything. For a while I had him in a Pre-K class. I think this was a good thing for one reason, James got to see that a class room setting was not for him. He came home one day and annoucned that he hated school, and yes those were his words... hated school. {he wasn't aloud to ask questions, or explore other ideas that he had. He would not be allowed to go outside if he didn't finish his work... he was in Pre-K}

Anyway, while he was in school he was asked to learn his site words, which he did and were really easy for him. His memory is incredible for a kid his age.

He soon learn to memorize many words and was on his way to reading. Only he had a really hard time sounding out words. He learned easy words like dog, cat, and rub {even that took some time}. But as he was learning the different rules he really struggled with reading. A lot of practice and a lot reading later he is doing well and reading above his grade level.

Now Tommy.... he really just came to me one day and sat down and started reading. He taught himself to read by listening to what I was teaching James and learning to sound out words by himself.

I really think that because Tommy didn't rely on memorizing. He learned to read all the words and not look ahead for the words he already knows.

I'm not sure if I made any sense, but after I read that article, and seeing my two boys and the way they learned how to read it made sense to me.



On anther note I won't be buying anything like Hooked on Phonics or anything else like that. I truly think that the best way to teach your kids how to read is to read to them. Teach them the letters and what they say. Teach them to sound out words, and all this can be done with the books that you have at home. No fancy anything, just plain books.

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

Amen! Just read them books! My son started reading at 4 because he was/is constantly read a loud to. It is the best thing, education wise, that you can do for a child.

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say!!