Monday, September 3, 2012

Code of Conduct

I am so blessed to be part of a great support for homeschoolers in my area. I have met some really wonderful women who will be my friends for years to come. I know that even after I move I will still have contact with many of the women that I have met through the homeschool group that I am in.

This is a big group and it has many branches for different things. If you just want to be involved with field trips you can do that and nothing more. It's the same thing if you just want to be a part of the Science Fair, or Spelling Bee. There is even a great Co-op, that you can be a part of if you want to.

My thing is the "Statement of Faith" it is not something that I agree with. I respect it and I understand why it is written the way that it is but I can't put my name to something if I don't agree with it.

The group I am with is a Christian group and they encompass most of the Christian's beliefs, everyone from Catholic, and Protestant to Baptist.

I too am Christian.

I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. My views on certain topics are a bit different from other Christians.

With in my Co-op if you want to teach a class you have to sign the Statement of Faith... I can't do that so I can't teach. {do you see where I am going with this??}

I am a good person, and I feel like most of the women that I know would trust me with their children, many I have had over to my house.

And yet I can't teach because my signature is not on a piece of paper. I respect these women to much to force my beliefs on them and definitely not onto their children. But what does math or geography have to do with religion?

I know you are asking... "well.... why don't you just start your own group?"

Good question!! I am. But not until we move. We are not here in Florida permanently and I didn't want to start something that I couldn't see though.

And when I do start my own co-op {still thinking of a good name so any suggestions would be great!} I am going to have families sign a "Code of Conduct". Mainly for modesty and behavior.

I want people to know that they are welcome and can fully participate without regard to religion. I would hope... as most homeschoolers are... that everyone would be respectful of everyone and what they believe. But, I am not going to turn away someone who can teach a math class just because they believe something different than I do.

I may not put my 5 year old into a class that is learning about the Torah, that's not what we believe, but if that mom {or dad} knows how to make science fun and interesting for my child, I will be the first one signed up.

I think having a "Statement of Faith" that is so strict on the rules of what people have to believe to be a part of something, possibly without meaning too {I hope} ... turns away many good people who want want to be involved and have a strong support system with out having to have their belief system put into question.


{if you have any question on what I believe, and why it contradicts the "Statement of Faith" please leave a comment or you can email me at peachylg{@}yahoo{dot}com. You can also find more information here}

3 comments:

Tristan said...

I have run into this in my hometown too. The big local homeschool group runs out of the local Baptist church. I've been a group member for over 5 years. However I can't teach anything that may involve history/scriptures/or opinions because I will not sign the Statement of Faith. They did let me teach a lapbooking class one day but several moms protested and I've not been allowed to teach since. It's pretty disheartening, isn't it?

RebeccaMom said...

So sorry that you have run into this. Our homeschool group has the same policy. I understand why they have the policy when it comes to religious classes, but not in other areas.

Unknown said...

just found my way to your lovely blog, wanted to stop and say, I love your terrific blog header!

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say!!