Sunday, October 5, 2014

School at home....

This year after the move and a having a baby, and pretty much having our lives turned upside down…. I knew we had to homeschool again. But we were going through a lean time as far as money goes and we just didn’t have any money to put out for curriculum.
I found an online charter school that looked really great. The curriculum looked decent and the people that I talked to at the school seemed really nice.
We filled out the application, and did the pretests {that in itself was an ordeal} and got everything sent in.
3 weeks… a move… and in a house with no furniture we got our curriculum and started on this new way of learning.
It is so different from how we homeschooled before and a lot more time consuming. There are online classes, check points, and a lot of busy work. It’s hard to go to the library… our favorite place to be… even trying to get out of the house for park days or our own field trips is hard because we have to work around s much. Pretty much it’s school at home, and I don’t like that.
After the first week I was hating it. The boys really didn't seem to care, were really good to check the boxes but they have no interest in actually learning anything. They just want to get through the days’ work to get onto reading or playing with Legos or going to the park. And really I don’t blame them. I was looking over the stuff and it is pretty dry.
They are not excited to learn, they are just checking off the boxes.
So I took a deep breath and called the school to let them know that I would be dropping the school. I am waiting for some new curriculum, but while we wait we are trying out “unschooling” and while we are doing that the boys have found some new interests.
I think that it’s scary jumping off and trying new things.
Have you ever changed things so drastically that it scared you??

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say!!