Tuesday, May 11, 2010

You want me to do what??

{I am NOT a member of the TOS Homeschool Crew... I just like answering the questions too.}

What if your child doesn't like to read?

Fortunately I don't have this problem. I am so thankful for that!!!

I think the love of reading started because I had no other choice. When James was 6 months old I got pregnant with Tommy. I was sick and we were in an apartment while the husband was living in the barracks for military training. We didn't have any furniture so I laid on a beanbag and taught James to bring books to me so I could read to him.

Here are some things that I have learned about reading though...

Reading is reading no matter if it comes from the literary greats, or the back of a cereal box.

Even comic books and magazines are reading. As long as they are appropriate keep them around.

Let them decide what they want to read. Yes there are things that I make my boys read to help them along... but I leave it completely up to them when it comes to free reading. Tommy likes a good fiction book while James like science books.

We have tons of books around! We have so many books and really they are all over. And at bed time if the boys aren't tired they still have to go to bed but I leave the hall light on and they can take books to bed with them.

I try to make it a point for them to see me read. When the boys sit down and with all the new library books I grab something for me to read and sit down with them. They also see dad read a lot because he is studying so much. I think it's important to set a good example for the boys.

And of course I read to them. If they are wiggly I'll read while they play with legos or something quietly. Tim will usually put together a puzzle. I try to read all sorts of things to them. From picture books to the classics. Some days go better than others, but even a page is better than nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say!!